Sunday, December 9, 2012

Chapter 34: Deaf Speech

I was surprised to learn that pretty much all Deaf people can speak up to a certain point.
"Virtually all deaf adults have had a heavy dose of speech and auditory training...Oral training is part of the TC curriculum."--pg. 202, p. 3
I do not think I would have had the patience to learn to speak if I was Deaf.  I am surprised it is a required part of the curriculum since a significant portion of the deaf community seems to prefer to not use speech.  I think it would take a lot of courage to use speech being Deaf without being subconscious about what people might think of your speech.  I think it would be rude to ask someone to use speech more in your workplace if ASL is there chosen means of communication.  The person who wrote in seems to feel like the coworker needs to meet him half-way; he learned some signs, so he thinks the coworker should use some English.  Just hire a translator and focus on your job instead of trying to change your coworker.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you about this post. I feel like the deaf have to be so confident to be able to use their voice. And to ask a coworker to speak is just rude when they obviously choose not to vocalize. Good post!

    -Jordan Turner

    ReplyDelete