Sunday, November 25, 2012

Chapter 23: Educational Interrogations by Deaf People

I find it interesting that one of the first things the authors mention as to why Deaf people question hearing people who sign is that there is some paranoia as to whether or not the hearing person is trying to get in a position of power in the Deaf community and manipulate its members.
"Our experiences have taught us to be wary of certain hearing people who are skillful signers.  Some of them think they're about deaf folks; they use their skill to gain cachet in the Deaf community, and manipulate deaf people to satisfy their own craving for power."--pg. 143, p. 3
This seems far-fetched to me but I suppose this must happen on occasion for them to have mentioned it.  I will have to research more about cases where this sort of thing has happened.  As for the reason for questioning hearing people relating to the grape-vine of information about ASL education, I do not think this is gossip for the most part.  I would say that most people who want to discuss your ASL educational background do truly want to give you advice on how to further your education.  Grudges were mentioned, however (pg. 145, p. 1), but I would think you would be able to sense if a Deaf person is a bit of a busy-body just as you can sense if a hearing person is a busy-body.

I would say I have patience with foreigners who are not fluent in English.  I hosted an exchange student from Switzerland my senior year of high school and though she was pretty much fluent upon arrival, it still did not bother me when she occasionally did not know how to express something and I would try to help her.  I would imagine that as long as a hearing person shows interest and effort in ASL, Deaf people would be patient with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment