Sunday, November 25, 2012

Chapter 31: More Resources

This is the first I have heard of a hearing child with Deaf parents having issues with English, though it makes perfect sense.
"The little boy speaks okay, but sometimes he reverts to an English version of the ASL sentence structure."--pg. 187, p. 1
I wonder if this is typical and how long it takes for such children to reach the English-speaking level of their peers.  I knew a girl in middle school and high school with Deaf parents and she spoke normally.  My mom had her little sister in first grade and she spoke normally, as well.

The authors sure do like listing off resources.  I notice that all of the materials they listed were published between the late 80's and early 2000's.  Were the 90's an important time for Deaf research?

No comments:

Post a Comment