Sunday, October 28, 2012

Chapter 13: ILY

I found this chapter very amusing.  Everyone is annoyed by ignorance of their culture, and I can defiantly understand why over-use of ILY could greatly annoy some deaf people if they are in a bad mood.  It seems like it would be interpreted as an attempt to bridge a communication gap by open-minded, optimistic deaf people.  I liked the stories in this chapter, especially the one about the little girl who knew the ILY sign from Sesame Street.
"When she saw the couple standing by their car bravely flashing the ILY, she cried, 'Daddy, stop!  Those people are deaf, and they need help!'"--Linda Bove, pg. 102, p. 1
I personally think it's a pretty amazing things that one sign can gain trust and bring such different people together.  I feel bad for those who are bitter for the "cheapening" of the sign.  The English words "I love you" are considered to be overused by some, yet the majority of people still say it without flashing and receiving bitter looks.  The authors seem to understand both sides of the issue.

As for ILY becoming "commercialized" by Carter's use of it and perhaps Sesame Street:  I like to think of it as broadening education or communication, not just a "cheapening" of something sincere.  Perhaps it would be best if some of the ASL culture that goes with the sign also be "commercialized" to calm the sour wrath of deaf people irked by the ignorant masses.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree about the ILY sign! I think saying I love you is a wonderful thing and, yes it is overused sometimes, but it's not like people are trying to send a rude message by flashing the ILY sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby,
    I also found the story of the little girl recognizing the ILY sign from Sesame Street adorable. I think that the sign being commercialized is good because it is bringing awareness to American Sign Language. I could understand why some deaf people would be annoyed by this as well though. It is a little ridiculous for people to think they know sign language when they really only know one sign but at least this way people are starting to become interested in ASL. I like how you said that it was “broadening education or communication”. I agree with you on that. Good job with what you have blogged so far!
    -Claire Graham-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also loved the story about the little girl! It reminded me alot of something my little girl would do. It just really amazes me how one sign (symbol) really can ressonate with such a wide span of people or all ages. The same sign used in peace rallies with middle-ages hippies also gives the same message to 3 year-olds watching a tv show. That amazes me. Great post!

    ReplyDelete