Sunday, October 28, 2012

Chapter 14: Fingerspelling

I had not previously thought about doing actual hand and finer exercises to improve fingerspelling; I had previously been under the impression that practice was the only way to get better.  A suggestion not listed in the book for how to improve clarity and speed for finger spelling that I have heard is to finger spell signs you see on a road trip.  The area of fingerspelling that seems like it would be the most difficult to practice would be receptive for me.  Perhaps I shall try googling some samples of fingerspelling to practice reception, but a real partner does seem like it would be best.  I shall dedicate more of my lab time to practicing fingerspelling.  I think my biggest issue with fingerspelling is getting into the mindset of it.  At first I will be very bad at forming the letters I want and might get hung up on one letter I miss during reception and then miss all of the others, too.  If I practice more throughout the day, perhaps this will be reduced.
"Skilled ASL users fingerspell sparingly, but at a characteristically ''lightning' pace."--pg. 107, p. 5
This is what frustrates me the most, I think.  I am always told whether it is from the book or from experienced signers that clarity is more important than speed, yet they sure seem proud of their speed.   It kind of reminds me of typing.  Perhaps I shall try to think of it that way and see if it helps.  Typing quickly is impressive, yet typing at a moderate pace while hitting the correct keys is much more useful than typing quickly and making many mistakes.  Eye contact is something else that brings me to a loss.  How can one concentrate simply through peripheral vision, especially if the person signing is not mouthing the word?  I hope I get better at making eye contact with people who are fingerspelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment